24 and 25 September 2019 parallel to the SDG Summit in the Church Center – opposite the UN, New York
While Heads of State met on 24 and 25 September 2019 for the SDG Summit to review the progress of Agenda 2030, 22 partners including GCAP organized a parallel People’s Assembly. The People’s Assembly brought together people’s representatives and civil society from around the world to give grassroots and marginalised people a voice. Most importantly, it was a space for all to jointly analyse the structural reasons for the injustices, act and plan for common future actions to create systemic change to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement.
Civil society plays a key role in advocating and implementing much needed change and to work on the structural causes of poverty and inequalities. However, we are being threatened and civic space to work is dwindling. Civil Society must fight back together and reclaim our space. We are at the crossroads, as inequality has risen to unsustainable levels and climate change is causing incalculable damage. We can implement change or continue with the status quo. We are determined to act to save the planet and humanity, particularly ensure that no one is left behind.
To galvanise people’s voice across the world, we organised a Global Week of Action from 20 – 27 September together with partners, with joint mobilizations and mass actions across movements & borders for Voice – Equality – Climate and Environmental Justice – #StandTogetherNow. The main themes of the People’s Assembly are:
- Civic Space (voices)
- Climate and Environmental Justice
The objectives of the People’s Assembly are to:
- Bring the “People’s Voices” to the fore at the SDG Summit
- Strategize to reclaim civil society space
- Discuss the implementation of Agenda 2030 and make recommendations for a stronger accountability mechanism
- Strengthen the cooperation with various CSO networks and INGOs for civil society actions and people’s movement
The Political Declaration will be approved by the Heads of State on 24 September. The People’s Assembly has taken the opportunity to make an alternative declaration.
- Asia Dalits Rights Forum
- PACJA – Pan African Climate Justice Alliance
- Major Group for Children and Youth
- Women’s Major Group
- NGO Major Group
- Action for Sustainable Development (A4SD)
- Bread for the World, Germany
- Gray Panthers
- CPDE – CSO Partnership for Development Effectiveness
- Global Policy Forum
- TAP Network
- Centre for Economic and Social Rights (CESR)
- SDG Watch Europe
- Heinrich Boell Foundation Washington, DC
- Climate, Land, Ambition and Rights Alliance (CLARA)
- Trust Africa
Global Call to Action Against Poverty (GCAP)
ActionAid, Bread for the World, Heinrich Boell Foundation Washington, DC, VOICE, EU and contributions from several other of the partners.
To get in contact with us, please email PeoplesAssembly@gcap.global.